5516Re: advice regarding platemaker

  • parallel_imp
    Mar 24, 2006
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "quatermassb" <quatermassb@...>
      wrote:

      > I have an opportunity to collect a free NuArc plate maker (no
      washout) that is 26" and has a
      > carbon light source. I have been looking for some time for a way to
      make my own plates. Can
      > any of you please give me some advice as to wheather or not this
      unit would be suitable for
      > easy adaptation for photopolymer use? Would I have to change the
      lights, make a UV frame,
      > etc.? Does anyone have an idea of how huge this might be...on it's
      own stand or tabletop? I
      > was not told if it was tabletop and I have to give an answer as to
      yes or no.

      This sounds like a carbon-arc platemaker which is of little use in
      exposing photopolymer relief plates. Most likely it is a large floor
      model "flip-top". So if you have a lot of room to spare, you could
      just use the vacuum frame in it and install a exposure box of
      blacklight tubes over it. If I were you, I'd wait for something more
      useful.
      If it has a mercury-vapor lamp instead of carbon-arc it might be
      OK, but the exposure times are still much longer than with the correct
      UV tubes.

      Eric Holub, SF
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic