      From: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Gerald Lange
      Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 5:12 PM
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Digital Ligatures

      Mike

      I assume this is in reference to Günter Gerhard Lange? if so. . .

      Can't recall off hand. I think there was some discussion in this regard
      on the Typophile forums a while back. May have had something to do with
      streamlining composition systems or modernizing character sets.

      I have a number of faces designed by Lange that include ligature sets
      and I believe most of the Berthold fonts that I have include ligatures. (?)

      Gerald Lange
      http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

      Michael T. Metz wrote:

      >Hello Gerald:
      >
      >Would you offer a snapshot of his argument?
      >
      >Mike
      >

      >Austin
      >
      >Could be laziness or lack of knowledge. The typesetter could also have
      >turned ligatures off for tracking purposes.
      >
      >While ligatures were a necessity in the setting of most metal text type,
      >they aren't necessarily considered a requirement in digital practice. In
      >fact, the typographer Günter Gerhard Lange (no relation as far as I
      >know), who is the Artistic Director at H. Berthold AG, is well known for
      >his opposition to the use of f-ligatures.
      >
      >Gerald Lange
      >http://BielerPress.blogspot.com
      >
      >Austin wrote:
      >

      >>For Christmas I received the book Stealing God's Thunder by Philip Dray.
      >>This is a book dealing with Ben Franklin and his scientific experiments.
      >>The book is a Random House publication.
      >>
      >>I have a question for all you digital types. Why are these mainstream
      >>publishers failing to use "f" ligatures in book typesetting? Being used
      >>to setting type in metal, the use of fl, fi etc. as ligatures seems
      >>commonplace to me. I have noticed this more and more in modern
      >>publications. The f and l, or f and i overlap and are obviously separate
      >>letters. To me a well designed page will appear an even gray to the
      >>reader. Spots of black or white are distracting and show poor design on
      >>the part of the typesetter or book designer unless that is the
      >>objective. These spots can be used quite effectively to draw attention
      >>to a particular point on the page. I am very aware of that. The black
      >>spots where the f and l overlap is excessively black. BAD from my
      >>perspective. It is difficult for me to see it other than laziness on the
      >>part of the typesetters. Even the most basic of word processors will
      >>accommodate the search and replace function. Is this just another sign
      >>of the times?
      >>
      >>Just wondering.

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic