5134Re: [PPLetterpress] Digital Ligatures

    Jan 1, 2006
      Austin

      Could be laziness or lack of knowledge. The typesetter could also have
      turned ligatures off for tracking purposes.

      While ligatures were a necessity in the setting of most metal text type,
      they aren't necessarily considered a requirement in digital practice. In
      fact, the typographer G√ľnter Gerhard Lange (no relation as far as I
      know), who is the Artistic Director at H. Berthold AG, is well known for
      his opposition to the use of f-ligatures.

      Gerald Lange
      http://BielerPress.blogspot.com

      Austin wrote:

      >For Christmas I received the book Stealing God's Thunder by Philip Dray.
      >This is a book dealing with Ben Franklin and his scientific experiments.
      >The book is a Random House publication.
      >
      >I have a question for all you digital types. Why are these mainstream
      >publishers failing to use "f" ligatures in book typesetting? Being used
      >to setting type in metal, the use of fl, fi etc. as ligatures seems
      >commonplace to me. I have noticed this more and more in modern
      >publications. The f and l, or f and i overlap and are obviously separate
      >letters. To me a well designed page will appear an even gray to the
      >reader. Spots of black or white are distracting and show poor design on
      >the part of the typesetter or book designer unless that is the
      >objective. These spots can be used quite effectively to draw attention
      >to a particular point on the page. I am very aware of that. The black
      >spots where the f and l overlap is excessively black. BAD from my
      >perspective. It is difficult for me to see it other than laziness on the
      >part of the typesetters. Even the most basic of word processors will
      >accommodate the search and replace function. Is this just another sign
      >of the times?
      >
      >Just wondering.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic