5105Re: Halftones and photopolymer

  • John G. Henry
    Dec 19, 2005
      When setting up halftone images in Photoshop, I generally do flatten
      the image a bit (reducing the contrast) as you tend to gain contrast
      through the halftone process. In whatever program you are using, you
      need to make certain that you have at least a good 10% dot in the
      highlight, and a 90% dot in the shadow. If you start to lose either
      end, the image starts to become very muddy and or spotty in appearance.

      I was always taught that dropouts (no dot at all) were OK
      in "specular" highlights. That is areas in which you would expect no
      density at all such as bright reflections. It seems to me that dropped
      dots become very obvious when dealing with line screens under 133
      lines/in., and dropouts should be avoided if possible.

      In my opinion, a 20% dot would be too heavy for something which has
      detail in the highlights you wish to keep, but experience with various
      papers and images is the best teacher. Most recently I have been
      printing halftone images for miniature books, where the images are
      small and detail is important. At 133-line screen, with coated paper,
      it is surprising what detail can be resolved. Even after considerable
      experience with the process, I am still frustrated on occasion with
      the results. More often than not, however, control of the process
      leads to better images.

      John G. Henry
      Cedar Creek Press
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic