      From: Gerald Lange <bieler@...>
      Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 23:13:02 +0000
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Washed out...

      Dear Ed

      Probably a poor choice of words on my part. As is your use of the word
      logic.
      Working with craft in this day and age is not illogical behavior. I can
      appreciate the Dard Hunter approach: make your own paper, design and cast
      your
      own type, print on an iron handpress, bind your own books, etc.

      However. One is not working at the preliminary stage of technique when one
      is
      hand processing a photopolymer plate (as an economic shortcut) as one would
      be
      if he/she were cutting a punch or cutting a woodengraving. In either case
      one
      would want the best tools available to them to engage in the task.
      Technology
      cannot improve on the skilled punchcutter or woodengraver. The "craft" in
      regard to processing photopolymer plates, however, belongs to the engineers
      who figured it out, and the technicians who enabled it to be mass-produced.

      David Pye, in his _The Nature and Art of Workmanship_ has a wonderful term
      for
      this which I cannot now remember. But I do remember this: In his _Printing
      with the Handpress_, Lewis Allen wrote, "inferior tools corrode the spirit."
      There is a difference.

      I knew an enthusiastic young printer, who, rather than buy used typecases at
      the going rate of $4 to $12 dependent upon how lucky you were, decided he'd
      rather make his own. As far as I know, he never actually made a typecase, or
      for that matter, ever got around to printing anything either.

      Gerald

      Ed Inman wrote:

      > > to go through that lunacy . . .
      > > Life can be so much easier.<<<
      >
      > Using this logic why would anyone want to go through the "lunacy" of
      > letterpress printing to begin with in an age of high speed, high quality
      > digital and offset imaging?
      >
      > I believe that art is partly about learning things that can be learned and
      > doing things than can be done--and compared to many processes, reliable hand
      > washout of photopolymer plates really isn't that difficult to master for
      > artists willing to experiment and learn.
      >
      > Ed

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
      PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com

      Encountering problems?
      PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .