4862Comic Sans et al

    Oct 29 12:04 AM
      I was recently asked to do the prepress on a children's book which
      required Comic Sans MS as its main text face [after working with it
      for a bit I developed somewhat of a respect for it]. First thing I
      knew was that the printer would not take TrueType format so Comic Sans
      had to be converted to PS1. Just as Adobe was reluctant to produce a
      typeface in TT (with one exception), Microsoft never produced a
      PostScript font. So it had to be converted. FontLab's TransType just
      screwed up the metrics (as per usual) so I went back to good old
      Fontographer (a major concern here was that FOG never acquired the
      license for Delta hinting). But it worked. Next thing was to create
      another half-dozen instances of the face for size optimization.

      The whole point here is that Microsoft generally provided Comic Sans
      to folks as a package purchase deal without leasing contract. Likely
      not a big concern, but most foundries these days do insist on NO
      modification to their typefaces. As a traditional letterpress printer
      I am not trying to modify the face in a way that deviates from intent
      but merely to bring it to what it should be on the printed page. And I
      apply that in my other typographic activities as well.

      I'm not sure how many printers actually modify digital typefaces for
      letterpress, but if you do, is the leasing restriction a concern? And
      should it be? And, more importantly, since the font format owners (Adobe, Apple, Mircosoft) actually provide folks like FontLab (which now owns Fontographer) their code, should type foundries who piggy-back on this code, actually have a say in the matter?