4628Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Toyoba Printight 152 / Rigilon MX II 145 / BASF WS 152

  • Mark Bauder
    Sep 1, 2005
      on 8/31/05 11:14 PM, Gerald Lange at bieler@... wrote:

      > Brad
      >
      > The Toyobos are fairly hard as far as letterpress photopolymer plates
      > go. But hardness rating per se is not a guarantee of "solidity." More
      > like the hardness rating of an inking roller where it is used as an
      > indicator of transfer qualities.
      >
      > You mention "our style of printing." I'm assuming deep impression? I
      > think you are going to experience splay with probably any photopolymer
      > plate under these conditions. Though I am not experienced with the
      > Rigilon. Photopolymer plates aren't really designed for this. And
      > thicker plates are going to splay more than thinner plates.
      >
      > I'd suggest using traditional copper engravings on a patent or
      > magnesium base for really deep impression. Most of the suppliers
      > accept computer files via email these days. I know Owosso does.
      > Copper is a bit more expensive but likely worth it as they will give
      > you what you want, which photopolymer likely cannot.
      >
      > Gerald
      >

      > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "elumdesigns" <bhfoster@g...>
      > wrote:
      >> I have been processing plates, testing and using the above mentioned
      >> polymers for the past 8 months. We are looking for a polymer that is
      >> hard and one that will hold the cleanest type/impression.
      >>
      >> We have found that the Printight is a very soft polymer compared to
      >> the rest and it does not hold up to our style of printing. The type
      >> just smashes after a few impressions. Has anyone else had this
      >> problem? I even went as far as to have the A&V rep come down to assist
      >> us with exposing the plates to see if we were doing anything wrong.
      >> He was surprised at what was happening. Has anyone experienced this?
      >>
      >> The BASF polymer by far had the cleanest impression and looked the
      >> best but the washout smelled real bad, the washout time was extremely
      >> long and the parent size plate was not a good size for us and we were
      >> wasting a lot of polymer. This plate was a bit harder than the
      >> Printight but we still had to back off on the preassure to make it work.
      >>
      >> The Rigilon seemed to be the plates that we had the best results with.
      >> Short exposure times, fast washout, holds type very well, clean
      >> impressions, great shoulder on the type, excellent ink release
      >> properties and its relatively hard and stable.
      >>
      >> Can anyone recommend something that might work for us that they have
      >> had good results with? Should I stop looking and just use the
      >> Rigilon? I have learned a lot about photopolymer and processing in the
      >> past 8 months but I feel that I have reached a point where I need some
      >> expert advice on which polymer will work best. Hard and clean....
      >>
      >> Thanks for reading.
      >> Brad
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      Hi Gerald,

      I agree with you. Copper is by far the better way to go. The walls on the
      letters can be made almost vertical and will make a crisp, clean image with
      a deep impression. The old letterpressman would be rolling over in their
      graves if they saw what is now the "in vogue" letterpress printing. But we
      can offer something unique that can't be reproduced with a computer - by the
      way, I have a couple of magnetic bases that were used twice if someone is
      interested. E-mail me direct.

      Cheers,
      Mark Bauder
      Sonoma Printers