4523Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Sheeps Wool Brush For Bronzing

  • Fritz Klinke
    Aug 15, 2005
      Lisa brings up an excellent point in this discussion about type of paper.
      All of the bronzing work I was involved with on a commercial basis when I
      worked in San Francisco (1960s) was done on coated paper, and primarily for
      food can labels. These were typically the large sheets off our 54x77 inch
      Miehle 4 and 5 color units (offset) and the printed sheets when dry were run
      through the bronzing machine that laid down an image of varnish in the
      appropriate location and the sheet then passed immediately into the bronzing
      unit of the machine. The sheet then went through a vacuuming unit to remove
      the excess powder, then through a 30 foot long drying unit. But what a messy
      operation--that part of the plant was permanently gold colored, and I don't
      think it was a healthy place to be. Gold on tuna fish labels, etc., was a
      nice touch, but one we have all gotten used to not seeing on the grocery
      shelves at least for labels printed in this country.

      Coarse fibered stock, and that will be most uncoated sheets other than
      smooth finish book, index, and bond papers, will trap the bronze powder.

      Fritz