440Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Dampening Two Sides?

  • Michael Peich
    Mar 12, 2002
      on 3/12/02 7:30 AM, Katie Harper at knharper@... wrote:

      > How/where does one obtain or build a "dampening box"?
      >

      > Katie Harper
      > Ars Brevis Press
      > Cincinnati, OH
      > 513-233-9588
      >

      >> From: Michael Peich <peich@...>
      >> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:44:47 -0800
      >> To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      >> Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Dampening Two Sides?

      >>> Dear Katie
      >>>
      >>> I once attended a lecture where the well-regarded speaker announced
      >>> that he had printed the text of his sheets and then had to put them
      >>> away for a time because he had not yet finished his wood engraving
      >>> work. Once that was completed, he dampened the paper for the printing
      >>> of the engravings. My companion and I turned and looked at each other
      >>> in quizzical surprise. Later, after viewing this fellow's printing, she
      >>> came over to me with a horrified look on her face.
      >>>
      >>> Moral of this little story: If you dampen the paper you are there for
      >>> the long haul, and sometimes it is a very long haul indeed. You can not
      >>> redampen without losing the previous impression. Letterpress without its
      >>> impression just isn't quite near the same sweet song.
      >>>
      >>> All best
      >>>
      >>> Gerald
      >>>

      >>> To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
      >>> PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      >>>
      >>> Encountering problems?
      >>> PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

      >> Dear Katie,
      >>
      >> While Gerry is correct vis-a-vis dampening the paper once again
      >> through a tub of water (it's the only method I know), if you have a
      >> dampening box, you can redampen the sheets by placing them in the box
      >> overnight. Obviously, the foam in the dampening box needs to be moist so
      >> that the sheets rehydrate. However, you will not achieve the same level of
      >> damp as you will by printing all the runs when you first dampen the sheets.
      >>
      >> As Gerry said, the best bet is to do it all the first time, hence
      >> the efficacy of having a dampening box, or some other such enclosure with
      >> which to keep sheets damp.
      >>
      >> Best of luck, Mike Peich
      >>

      >> To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
      >> PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      >>
      >> Encountering problems?
      >> PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

      > To respond to this message or post a message to the membership:
      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      >
      > Encountering problems?
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com

      Dear Katie,

      The best description, with diagrams, is offered by Lewis and Dorothy
      Allen in their Allen Press Bibliography. The original is a severely limited
      edition, but there were at least two reprints of it published (I think) by
      the Book Club of California. You'll probably find it in a special
      collections library, or if you're near a large library, ask for it on
      inter-library loan. If you can find a copy for sale, it's worth adding to
      one's library.

      Best of luck.

      Cheers, Mike
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic