4366Re: What's the point?

    Jun 23, 2005
      Carole

      Don't know if this will answer your question but its an interesting read.

      http://home.att.net/~tom.brodhead/points.htm

      Somewhere or other I read a long long discourse about the magic of the
      number 72, mathematically. Something about its divisibility which made
      it appropriate in the printing industry, and then as used digitally.
      Apparently 72 was used in the computer industry based on traditional
      grounds, and somewhat unfortunately, in regard to screen resolution.
      As I recall NeXT computer (late 80s/early 90s)) used Display
      PostScript, which did not conform to the standard (I think). Though
      the current Mac OSX incorporates a lot of the technical developments
      associated with the NeXT, including Display PostScript, it's not
      exactly the same thing.

      Gerald

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Carole Aldrich
      <carolealdrich@e...> wrote:
      > All my traditional pica rulers always read 6 picas per inch, 12
      > points/pica, 72 points/inch. I have heard the traditional vs postcript
      > dialogue for quite some time. How is this not reflected on our old pica
      > rulers? Does anyone know?
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic