4175Exceptional Book Artists in Aurora, New York

  • bookartscenter
    Apr 29, 2005
      The Wells Book Arts Center is pleased to report an ever-growing number of
      talented students are
      signing up for classes in our first annual Summer Institute. Consider joining
      them! Registration
      continues through June 12th. Enjoy intensive learning in a beautiful lakeshore
      setting in Aurora, New
      York. Open to all levels.

      JUNE 19-25, 2005

      Julia Leonard, "Binding Structure and Story" The visual, tactile and intimate
      qualities of the artists’ book,
      whether traditional or experimental in form, make the book’s structure an
      essential contextual element.
      This workshop will explore connections between structure and content.
      Participants will learn several
      non-traditional book structures that are flexible & adaptable, making them
      particularly appropriate for
      presenting material in alternative forms. We will integrate structure, text
      and image to create books in
      which the binding enhances both the function & meaning of a piece. Structures
      will include non-
      adhesive combination bindings, stiff leaf variants, accordion folds and
      several of the many variants that
      can be built off the basic accordion fold. We will switch classes with the
      Langworthy workshop for an
      afternoon to provide students with exposure to non-traditional methods on the
      press.

      Sara Langworthy, "Drawing at the Press: Fluid Approaches to Innovative
      Printing" This class asks ‘what
      would happen if?’ and encourages students to then see ‘what happens when.’
      Using traditional fine
      printing as our point of departure, we will explore and exploit the world of
      nontraditional & innovative
      printmaking on the Vandercook. Students will be exposed to an array of
      printing techniques such as
      pressure printing, excessive layering, purposeful misregistration, painterly
      monoprinting, trace
      monoprinting, incorporation of aqueous materials into printed sheets,
      stencils, handwork, & more!
      Exercises will familiarize students with each process, and the class will
      exchange prints from these first
      days. We will then spend one day working in small groups on a series of
      collaborative prints, and the
      final days of class will be devoted to focused individual work. We will switch
      classes with the Leonard
      workshop for an afternoon to provide students with exposure to non-traditional
      binding methods.

      JUNE 26 - JULY 2, 2005

      Nancy Leavitt, "Content, Form and Sequence: Genesis of the Hand Lettered Book"
      With content as the
      idea of our work and the book our form, we will use poetry and mark-making
      exercises as a
      springboard to develop narratives. Through playful research with text, pen,
      and paper, we will collect,
      explore, and analyze ideas, and develop them into visual sequences to be used
      in our books. We will
      develop new ways of working to strengthen the substance and personal
      satisfaction of our work.
      Instruction will include group and individual activities, slides,
      demonstrations, and discussion. We will
      also make book models for use in future projects. Students at all levels are
      welcome; everyone must be
      able to work independently. Although we will be using calligrapher’s tools, no
      calligraphic or binding
      experience is necessary.

      Walter Tisdale, "Text and Image: The Printed Narrative" What is your dream
      book? How can a printing
      press and hand tool skills transform your mind’s image to reality? How does
      the narrative influence the
      design of the book? We will jump right into the simple mechanics of the
      Vandercook proof press using
      movable type, and relief printing with wood and lino blocks. Each person will
      print a folded-broadside
      in a small edition. Repetition during edition work will reinforce the
      necessary skills. The final project
      will be a collaborative effort using type and imagery in an accordion-book
      structure. The narrative of
      this book will be developed by the class. Simplicity is vital given the time
      constraints. It is important to
      spark ideas during the class, but also develop physical models for reference
      afterward. You will receive
      instruction in binding and hand stencil/pochoir work. All skill levels will
      feel comfortable in this class.

      For more information, please call us at 325.364.3420, email us at
      bookartscenter@..., or visit
      our website at www.wells.edu/bookarts, and click on the link to Summer
      Institute.