411Re: [PPLetterpress] Kreene?

  • Brian Allen
    Mar 3, 2002
      Wayne -
      I once had a home made exposure system and then later a used machine from
      Anderson & Vreeland. The kreene on the A&V machine covered all the holes in
      the metal vacuum base. The suction of the pump was so strong there was no
      need for any other seal - about 25 psi as I recall. It created a very tight
      bond. The kreene was taped to the base at one end and to a metal rod at the
      other (kreene tightly rolled up) end. the neg/plate was positioned on the
      bed, the vacuum turned on, and the kreene rolled out over the base. The
      suction took hold progressively and the weight of the rod (hanging over the
      front edge of the base) completed the arrangement.
      My home made system was of plywood base, 1x1 inch spacers around the edge,
      and pegboard top, screwed together and sealed with silicone rubber. An
      opening was left in the 1x1 space for the "edging" tool of a hand held Dust
      Devil type vacuum cleaner. The suction of that was actually too much, bowing
      the pegboard, so I opened up some holes of the pegboard. I used clear
      acetate to hold the neg/plate (this was before I knew of the kreene), and
      the static charge it created was awful, bad plates resulting from dust
      covering serifs, etc.
      In both cases the lighting was a closely spaced set of fluorescent bulbs,
      about 2 inches above the exposure frame.
      Hope this helps - I'd be happy to answer further questions.
      Brian Allen
      Mountain View, California
      -------