Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

4029Re: Galley rack & trays available for $50

Expand Messages
  • Gerald Lange
    Apr 1, 2005
      Actually, there is such a thing as a "bale arm," just apparently not
      in the "blue prints."


      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@f...> wrote:
      > Using the correct terminology sure helps when it comes time to order
      > pieces and tid bits of printing material. We had a request for a
      bale arm the
      > other day for a 10x15 C&P. Now for Gerald's sake, C&Ps have been
      around now for
      > about 115 years and span a time period where the "traditional
      terminology" of
      > say 1895 is still relevant in 2005. There is no such thing as a bale
      arm, but
      > that's what the folks at a very respected letterpress house called
      this part on
      > their press. And to their surprise, what they were after is called a
      gripper. We
      > spent time on a couple of phone calls and an inquiry to a supplier
      for what I
      > thought they wanted, only to find out what they really wanted. There
      are names
      > for things, and part numbers, and other references, and when I get
      calls from
      > amateurs who are vague about terminology, well, then that's one
      thing, but from
      > people who have been at it for years and haven't taken the time,
      effort, or
      > pride in their craft to know what the time-honored terms and phrases
      are, then I
      > have a hard time with that. We all make mistakes, and hopefully we
      are all still
      > learning. The major misnamed thing around here is the office cat, Elrod.
      > Fritz
      > > When I was learning how to sail, and then when i was teaching
      other how
      > > to sail, the question came up: why does everything have a silly little
      > > name? There are no ropes on a boat, there are lines, sheets, halyards,
      > > etc. The reason for this is - when you are sailing the difference
      > > between this rope and that rope over there can be the difference
      > > between life and death. So clear, exact, and concise communication is
      > > very important - so you need a million names for everything.
      > >
      > > I imagine that industrial letterpress shops were the same way - with
      > > quite heavy forms, dangerous presses and guillotines, etc.
      > >
      > > that being said, i don't think many of us face life or death in the
      > > pressroom. even though I try to use all of the correct
      terminology, and
      > > learn as much as i can, it seems like in a few years it will only be
      > > important to historians and museums. These terms might die off
      like the
      > > terms associated with common presses (does anyone using a vandercook
      > > know the name of the string that a tympan/frisket rests on?) In the
      > > same direction, I wonder if there are whole lexicons associated with
      > > commercial lithography, etching, engraving, etc. that have been
      > > completely lost today.
      > >
      > > disclaimer - i don't really have an opinion one way or the other, so i
      > > don't want to start a fight, these are just some thoughts i had
      > >
      > > thanks,
      > > alex
      > > press eight-seventeen
      > > lexington, ky
      > >
      > >
      > > > Termology helps to communicate, but only between typographers, if
      > > > it's deteriorating to a sort of "latin-speach between doctores
      > > > medici".
      > > > Than newcomers will have a hard time indeed.
      > > >
      > > > Language is for communicating, the internet we use too.
      > >
    • Show all 34 messages in this topic