3766Re: [PPLetterpress] Circular quads

  • Regis Graden
    Feb 10 7:40 PM
      Barb,

      Circular quads are not the easiest things to use! I believe what you describe is the right course. Many articles have been written on the subject in "Inland Printer". I have a run of these great magazines through the '20s and '30s. If Gerald does not respond on exactly how to use them, I'll try to thumb through some issues and find some information for you.

      Good Luck,

      Regis

      barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@...> wrote:
      I realize that you, dear reader, are
      digitally-inclined, but I also know that this is an
      experienced group of letterpress printers (and a
      smaller discussion group, thank god!), so I'm braving
      a hot type question: Do any of you have instructions,
      or know of instructions that are published, on how to
      use circular quads. I'm trying to set 14pt. type in a
      nice arch-shape. I have sets of metal "circular quads"
      which have different arc configurations. I'm assuming
      that you lay your type so that each piece of type is
      oriented along the arcs with as much contact on the
      top and bottom edges. The final lock-up is probably a
      combination of pressure and convenience. I've been
      using bits of mat board and old bent coppers to fine
      tune and fill in......what do you think? Anything
      published on this technique?
      Does anyone have one of these locked up that they
      could create a jpeg image to send me? I've had no luck
      in my own personal library or our school's. Thanks for
      any help you can offer.
      -Barb Tetenbaum (who very much enjoyed the rants
      written in response to my "Vandy"comment last month)

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      document.write('');