3289Re: [PPLetterpress] Just Getting Started...Is Kelsey A Good Buy For DIY Wedding Invitations?

  • David S. Rose
    Dec 9, 2004
      Meg,
      It's not so much the cost of materials as it is the cost of the press.
      If you're really looking to learn something new and perhaps do more than
      just this one invitation, and if you would otherwise spend $500-$1000 to
      have someone else print the invitations letterpress, you might want to
      consider a better press from the beginning. A Kelsey, while OK for doing a
      quick run of printing a small amount of image area, is not really the best
      press for an ongoing interest in letterpress. It will also not necessarily
      retain its value over the long haul. You didn't mention how much you're
      thinking of paying, but if it's more than a couple of hundred bucks or so
      (especially missing the ink plate and rollers) you probably should think
      twice.
      You can get a completely refurbished Chandler & Price Pilot, all ready
      to go, from Dave Churchman for about $800, and dealers like Don Black and
      John Barret also usually have Pilots in stock. Of course, if you're serious
      about taking letterpress up as a longer term avocation and have the space
      and money, you may even want to consider a Vandercook or similar proof press
      (under $2,000).
      Good luck with your invitations, and take a look at the Introduction to
      Letterpress Printing, at www.fiveroses.org/intro.htm.

      -David S. Rose
      Five Roses Press
      New York, NY