3288RE: [PPLetterpress] Vandercook SP-15 Trouble Inking

  • Jenni Won
    Dec 9, 2004

      I have a galley bed with a bed plate inserted. I'm not sure about the serial
      or the diameter of the rollers since I'm away from my studio at the moment,
      but they're definately larger than 2" - I'd say around 2.5", maybe 3" if I
      had to guess. Indeed, I'm using a Boxcar base - definately don't think
      that's the issue.

      The rollers seem to be in fine shape - soft like a pink eraser and not
      flared. When the system is inking at start position, everything turns
      properly. However, it is when I go to print that the rollers stop rolling
      and start to drag, scraping ink across my plate. I've had better luck
      placing single lines of text or long skinny graphics parallel, lengthwise
      to the "dead line" since there's less length to scrape across.

      Perhaps, the ink is too tacky? Maybe, since the overall form is so small
      that it's not generating enough traction? Regardless, I've done a number of
      similar projects on the Vandy and this has never been an issue. Then again,
      I've never printed in the winter. The temperature was somewhat warm but not
      overbearingly so in the studio.