3094Re: [PPLetterpress] Vandercook rack weirdness

  • Katie Harper
    Nov 8, 2004
      James:

      I cannot answer all your questions, and not sure if my own press is very
      similar to yours, but I too found shims under my gear rack on my Vandercook
      215 when I had it apart a few months ago. Like you, I thought that the shims
      had been put in to adjust for wear over time. On my press, however, they
      were minor and I didn¹t have a problem with the rack working loose.

      As for the cylinder being lifted, I¹d be very interested in hearing comments
      on that. I have begun to suspect that my own press, which was dropped last
      year, may have some uneveness in the impression of the cylinder. Raising the
      gear rack would indeed compensate for this, but I haven¹t yet diagnosed it
      that far.

      As for ³weirdness,² I think that is a perfectly valid technical description
      of many press problems.

      Good luck!

      Katie Harper