305Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: another possible factor in exposing plate s

  • Katie Harper
    Jan 9, 2002
      Brian: I guess I don't quite get what you are saying about the "limit of
      about 150 lpi or 300 dpi"... is this something you have read somewhere, some
      kind of specification? I'm sure that photopolymer probably does have a limit
      as to how small a speck it can hold (ie, how fine a halftone dot), but I'm
      pretty sure it is capable of holding much finer detail than most
      letterpresses can print, so the limitation you speak of is not from the
      plate but from the press. In any case, I cannot see how a polymer plate can
      be limited by 300 dpi, since the plate is analog and the term "dpi" refers
      to the digital world.

      And yes, the difference between output from a 600 dpi output device and a
      1200 dpi or larger resolution output device will show, but whether or not
      that difference matters depends on a)what you are printing, b)what you are
      printing on, c) what press you are using and d) what ink. There are probably
      other factors including temperature, roller condition, what the printer has
      for breakfast, and on and on... But it mainly depends on what is acceptable
      quality for the printer or the client. What works for a daily newspaper
      won't be considered acceptable for a slick magazine or a coffee table book
      printed in Italy. One plate may look like royal doo-doo on one type of paper
      and swell on another. For my own work, I tend to try to get the best
      possible image from a plate, so that all the other factors which will
      whittle down the quality have to start from a higher place. Having said
      that, I will add there are times when a home-made neg will work and times
      when it won't. Just as there are times when taking an exposed piece of film
      and scratching a drawing on it will make a great negative, and times when I
      need a careful rendering of an original or a computer file. I'm talking
      images here. With type, I take no chances and get the best quality output
      and plates I can.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588

      Remember: Book arts will save the world!