2798Re: [PPLetterpress] ink for solids on dampened handmade paper

  • John Sullivan
    Aug 7, 2004
      Gans is a major ink manufacturer with several plants around the
      country, this is an ink they developed specifically for letterpress
      numbering on all substrates. It has a high pigment to vehicle ratio and
      is full bodied. With "work" you will see it lengthen. So if you are
      working the ink on a glass keep spreading and piling with the ink knife
      till you feel it start to flow, then start your roll out. It will skin
      if left for and hour or so.
      john s
      On Saturday, August 7, 2004, at 11:47 AM, Gerald Lange wrote:

      > John
      >
      > Do you know if this ink is made by Gans or is made by someone else for
      > them?
      >
      > Gerald
      >
      > John Sullivan wrote:
      >
      > >This is not a "romantic" ink like you have been discussing but Gans
      > Ink
      > >makes a Letterpress ink in one pound cans called LPR Heavy bond Black
      > >the SO# 572063. (T.800-421-6167) Very stiff oil base, (will dry on any
      > >paper and your rollers). This ink is thixotropic and needs to be well
      > >worked either in the roller train on press or vigorously on the glass
      > >when you are rolling out. Adding oils is counter productive, you will
      > >want a heavy ink film that will "split" easily when printing. Ink tack
      > >lowers as film thickness increases.
      > >The substrate (stuff formerly known as paper) will play a big roll in
      > >how your ink "holds out" which is what you need for a creditable
      > >looking solid. Strathmore Wove double weight cover takes heavy
      > coverage
      > >very well, and my current favorite sheet is Fox River's Coronado SST
      > >130lb vellum. I have letterpress printed PMS 877 silver on this sheet
      > >and it rivals foil stamping in it brightness.
      > >On Friday, August 6, 2004, at 07:30� PM, Sgheaver@... wrote:
      > >
      > >John Sullivan
      > >offset and letterpress
      > >
      > >�