2749RE: [PPLetterpress] Re: Summer reading....

  • David Goodrich
    Jul 8, 2004
      I should add to my previous posting that the Romans occasionally inserted
      bronze letters into their carved monumental inscriptions. These were
      presumably cast although they may have been trimmed to fit the hollows in
      the stone. This raises fascinating questions, such as whether the bronze
      casters dictated the design of the letters using standardized moulds or
      exactly how the letters and incisions were made to match. Whereas most
      inscriptional lettering has a V shape, the stonecutting where bronze letters
      were to be attached has a flat bottom. Thus the stone cut letters were
      altered to accommodate the bronze inserts. Intriguing that the Romans had
      learned to cast metal letters but never thought of printing from them.
      David.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic