2732Re: Summer reading....

    Jul 1, 2004
      Paul

      _Type: The Secret History of Letters_ by Simon Loxley is relatively new
      and on my list to do. Lightweight enough to carry to the beach and
      seemingly in its story line as well. Seems to be a retelling of the
      Anglo-American type saga with a bit of an odd and ill thought out
      conclusion. I always peruse the last chapter first!!! Some not oft seen
      photos, nice one of Emery Walker, another of Edward Johnston with goose
      quill in hand...

      Gerald

      Paul W. Romaine wrote:

      >Hello folks,
      >
      >Now that the July Fourth holiday is almost upon us in the US, I have a
      >rather interesting request from someone writing an article on summer
      >reading of recent books related to the history of printing, type, books,
      >and all the arts of the book. Her "summer reading list" has some "heavies"
      >as well as some light (weight) reading.
      >
      >What are you reading, planning to read or have already read this summer?
      >And why? (And no jokes about bullies kicking sand in your face for bringing
      >Richard-Gabriel Rummonds's _Printing on the Iron Handpress_ [1988] or the
      >forthcoming _Nineteenth-Century Printing Practices And The Iron Handpress_ !)
      >
      >Me? I'm reading the current issue of _Parenthesis_ journal of the Fine
      >Press Book Association, and some biographies of Benjamin Franklin (for the
      >tercentenary). I also have a stack of old reading to get to--mostly old
      >manuals. If possible, I'll pass along comments from our author.
      >
      >All best,
      >
      >Paul
      >

      >Paul W. Romaine
      >romaine@...