2614Re: [PPLetterpress]

  • Roderick
    May 1, 2004
      Thank you everyone for sharing your wisdom.

      Best, Roderick

      --- Gary Mordhorst <gary@...> wrote:
      > Print your color (burgundy or goldenrod) first and
      > print black on top of the
      > color. Keep your trap at 1/2 point, or overprint,
      > based upon the nature of
      > the image.
      >
      > Black ink has enough density to overprint most
      > colors. The big exception to
      > this is in the case of metallic inks, which have
      > metal shavings in the ink,
      > making them more opaque than black.
      >
      > Gary Mordhorst
      > AccuColor Plus, Inc.
      > www.accucolor.com
      >

      > on 5/1/04 11:33 AM, Roderick at rxchow@...
      > wrote:
      >
      > Michael (et al):
      >
      > I'm printing black and burgandy for one set and
      > black
      > and goldenrod for another set. If I place black down
      > first, then burgandy (goldenrod) will trapping at
      > 1/2
      > (assuming I'm registered) show all that much. Should
      > the client decide how much trapping I need? I'm
      > assuming not because I'm printing and not him, I
      > need
      > to decide is how much overhang is acceptable to me.
      > Am
      > I correct?
      >
      > I've printed a few two color jobs with colors in no
      > particular order and never specified trapping
      > because
      > I just registered. Should I be putting down the
      > lighter color first then black or vice-versa?
      >
      > Many thanks, Roderick
      >

      > --- Michael Barnes <mjbarnes@...> wrote:
      > > Traps in offset printing are frequently .25 point
      > > (quarter point).
      > > Unless black is overprinting, a colour trapping
      > > under black can be
      > > considerably more (half a point) since it won't
      > show
      > > much. Nowadays we
      > > trap even less -- around .125 pt -- because we are
      > > imaging to direct to
      > > plate, which has improved registration.
      > >
      > > Of course I don't know if numbers that work in
      > > offset also work for
      > > letterpress. But a 2 pt trap is certainly big.
      > Many
      > > rules and text
      > > characters are themselves thinner, or not much
      > > broader than this, and
      > > if the trap is coming in from all directions, such
      > > large number will
      > > effectively result in an overprint.
      > >
      > > Michael Barnes

      > � To respond to a post or post a message to the
      > membership:
      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > � Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > � To unsubscribe:
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
      > var lrec_target="_top"; var lrec_URL = new Array();
      > lrec_URL[1] =

      "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129fbo998/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups

      /S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1083515642/A=1874383/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*htt

      'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_pdt_lrec_01.s
      > wf?clickTAG='+link+''; var lrec_altURL =

      "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129fbo998/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups

      /S=1706389862:HM/EXP=1083515642/A=1874383/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*ht

      "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_pdt_lrec_01.g