2382Re: [PPLetterpress] film output costs

  • Silver MayKitten
    Jan 10, 2004
      You need to preflight a job before sending it to the service
      bureau for output. Matxware makes the best. BY preflighting
      you can make sure that the job submitted has all the necessary
      files and then you can zip it for transmission by ftp. For the
      best results creaste the job as a single directory with all the
      fonts and graphics and other job files inside with the
      directory name the same as the project number, like:
      PN04-00108.

      MayKitten
      --- typetom@... wrote:
      > In a message dated 1/10/2004 rayking@... writes:
      > << For an 8.5 x 11 size negative what would the customary
      > price be
      > approximately?
      >
      > An 8 x 10 neg in Denver is available for $12.75, at Unique
      > Litho. I didn't do
      > comparative pricing elsewhere here as this seemed reasonable
      > and close to my
      > shop. I can send files by email or on their website.
      > www.uniquelitho.com.
      >
      > Some issues regarding ganging files if the imagesetter
      > doesn't read all the
      > intended formatting -- occasionally an image or a text box
      > flows to a second
      > page so it becomes two negs not one. I've had to learn to
      > talk to the various
      > software and people involved!
      >
      > I've also had problems with certain postscript fonts that
      > don't get embedded
      > with the file like True Type, and so depend on the
      > imagesetter having the font.
      >
      > Now I also make negs at home on a laser printer. Not opaque
      > enough really,
      > but with much less exposure time and shorter washout (and
      > some careful and
      > intensive work with an opaque pen) I am getting results that
      > equal plates made from
      > imagesetter negs. Some limitations and trade-offs, with
      > considerably more
      > hand-work, but my cost for these negs is now about 7 cents
      > per 8.5 x 11 laser
      > transparency sheet.
      >

      > Tom Parson
      > Now It's Up To You Publications