2352Re: [PPLetterpress] Digest Number 598

  • Kim Vanderheiden
    Jan 3, 2004
      Hi Bryan,

      For Vandercooks I use Crisco to get the bulk of the ink off, followed
      up by a little denatured alcohol to get the last layer of Crisco off.
      Put the Crisco on just like you would ink the press, and run it until
      the rollers are too slick to spin, then turn the press off and wipe the
      ink off. Rubber rollers will need additional attention with the Crisco.
      When the ink is mostly off, there will still be a light sheen of your
      ink color left on the rollers. Take that off with the alcohol. I think
      the alcohol can't be used on composite rollers, but is fine on rubber
      rollers.

      When I got my windmill, the Crisco didn't work too well and I found
      something else called Amberclean, sold at Kelly Paper, which has
      several California locations, if you happen to be in California. It's a
      bit pricey, but you don't need a lot to clean a press, and there's very
      little odor. The Hazard Index is 0 for health (minimal) 2 for
      flammability (moderate) and 0 for reactivity. I have problems with it
      not drying fast enough off the rollers when doing a color change
      (although the rollers look dry, there are terrible effects on the
      printing.) A last wipe with alcohol should prevent that problem though,
      and that isn't necessary if you're not printing immediately afterwards.

      Happy (Green) Printing!
      Kim

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 22:34:17 -0000
      > From: "printanarchist" <bryan@...>
      > Subject: Press wash questions
      >
      > I am considering switching over to a "green" press wash. I have been
      > using VM&P
      > Naptha for three years and have decided to limit it's use here in the
      > shop. The brand
      > of Naptha I use is manufactured by Sterling. The brand that is sold
      > through Home
      > Depot sucks...as does Home Depot...unless it's midnight and you're out
      > of press
      > wash...
      >
      > So I looked over the notes in the archive regarding press washes.
      >
      > To anyone out there who is using environmentally friend press wash:
      >
      > What is your "green" wash preference?
      >

      > Cheers
      > Bryan

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic