      From: "E Roustom" <ERoustom@...>
      To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, January 03, 2004 11:45 AM
      Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Press wash questions

      Genie Safe & Easy, manf. by Domenic Argenio Asc. P.O. Box 651, West
      Patterson, NJ 07424 800-631-0039. They'll tell you who your local dealer is.
      .Non Toxic
      .Non Flammable
      .Non Hazerdous
      .100% Biodegradable
      .Very Mild Odor
      .Harmless to Rubber
      "Use sparingly, it will give many times the mileage of a conventional wash.
      Apply to rollers and allow 30 to 45 sec. to penetrate, then engage cleanup
      attachment. Apply more as needed until press is ink free. Rinse thoroughly
      with water." Pretty much all true.

      This stuff cleaned off a press that was left idle for TOO long with Tough
      Tex (not me!) - cleaned brayers with three year old dry ink. Rollers wear
      from work, but not from glazing. Nothing has kept my rollers so clean for so
      long. Vandercook going on 4 years (almost as good as day I bought them).
      Windmill (daily use) on second year.

      On a windmill about two, maybe three, tablespoons does the trick. 15 - 20
      minutes - sometimes when changeing colors a quick color wash with solvent
      must follow, as it seems hard to get all the Genie out of the system
      (continues to dissolve ink). Hand wipe to finish with damp rag then solvent.

      On Vandercook, maybe two tbs. Drip into running rollers slowly (over the
      course of 30 seconds) until rollers too slick to turn, then wipe thoroughly
      with dry rag. Repeat, up to four times. Rinse with clean wet rag, then clean
      damp rag. 15 min. Watch for drips into press bed, wipe everything up
      (another 5 min). Half clean rags used at end of wash up can be reused when
      dry as the first rags. I go through fewer rags sinse I've been using this
      stuff.

      Drawbakcs:
      Never dries, creeps out of closed containers and gets everywhere.
      Works too well: drip on press (unnoticed and over time) takes paint off down
      to metal, turns paint on concrete floor to elastic goo.
      A little slow, and water rinse not always enough to do the job. Follow up
      with solvent (minimal) still necessary.
      Expensive, you must purchase 4 Gallons at a time (until NA Graphics starts
      to stock it and sell it in 1 Gal. bottles - are you paying attention
      Fritz?).

      Happy New Year,

      Elias

      > From: "printanarchist" <bryan@...>
      > Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 22:34:17 -0000
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Press wash questions
      >
      > I am considering switching over to a "green" press wash. I have been using
      > VM&P
      > Naptha for three years and have decided to limit it's use here in the shop.
      > The brand
      > of Naptha I use is manufactured by Sterling. The brand that is sold through
      > Depot sucks...as does Home Depot...unless it's midnight and you're out of
      > press
      > wash...
      >
      > So I looked over the notes in the archive regarding press washes.
      >
      > To anyone out there who is using environmentally friend press wash:
      >
      > What is your "green" wash preference?
      >

      > Cheers
      > Bryan
      >

      > . To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > . Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > . To unsubscribe: