2347Re: [PPLetterpress] buying metal type

  • Ph. D.
    Dec 27 2:48 PM
      American Type Founders Company had about one hundred
      Barth casting machines. Theo Rehak at the Dale Guild in
      New Jersey has about twenty of them. The remainder were
      sold at auction, mostly to scrap metal dealers. Greg Walters
      in Ohio bought a few to save.

      The Barth caster is not adjustable to different body sizes as
      Monotype and Thompson casters are. Each machine is set
      for a specific point size. ATF also had mats with varying
      depth of drive, with a specific Barth caster to match. Most
      of ATF's mats (about 75%) were bought by scrap metal dealers.

      So even if the mats still exist, the specific caster may not
      exist anymore. It is my understanding that, with the exception
      of a 72-point machine on loan from Greg, Theo has no Barth
      casters larger than 30 point, so casting 48 pt ATF Garamond
      is out of the question.

      (For details of the auction at ATF, I have copies of Greg
      Walters' book "Auction of the Century" available for $55 plus
      $4 postage. Hardbound and printed letterpress.)

      --Phillip Driscoll