2345RE: [PPLetterpress] buying metal type

  • David Goodrich
    Dec 27, 2003
      Kent,

      Times Roman was an English Monotype face. ATF did not make it. Since M&H
      is a monotype operation (i.e. their fonts are simply alphabets set on a
      monotype machine) their mats should match. They should be able to adjust
      the base line to match yours. However, 40 pts is a really odd size. Are
      you sure you measured it correctly? M&H does offer a 42 point Times.

      Ludlow also produced Times Roman.

      As already noted, N.A. Graphics may have the other ATF fonts.

      AWT somehow gave or sold its inventory of foundry type to Yale and/or David
      Rose when it moved several years ago. David Rose put what Yale did not want
      up for sale in 2002. It was all Stephenson Blake type, primarily many sizes
      and weights of Consort and Grotesque. There was no ATF type when I went
      through it. You could contact David Rose but I think he made a bulk sale of
      what was unsold by midsummer 2002.

      Franklin Gothic is a fairly common face which comes up frequently in used
      type sales. John Barrett probably has a lot if you can accept used type.

      I know Dale Guild has the ATF Garamond mats but I do not think Theo has
      produced 48 point. He primarily casts to order, but usually overproduces
      enough to have a few job fonts available for sale. The cost of a custom
      casting is astronomical because of the set up time.

      If your type is ATF foundry type it will not match monotype from M&H even if
      you get the base line to be the same. The letters are slightly different
      and this will be obvious in the large sizes you want. However, if the base
      line is your only concern, you should be able to get one of the many
      monotype houses to match yours.

      David