2327Re: New Times for Letterpress

    Dec 18, 2003
      Fritz

      Another "perspective" is that most folks practicing studio letterpress
      today are not running the kind of work you describe. And there were,
      even then, a number of fine private presses around who were working
      with the antiquated iron handpress (also a proofing press). I suspect
      they might have been looked upon with amusement as well. The work of
      some of these presses is highly revered today, much more so than a lot
      of the output of commercial letterpress of the time period, no matter
      how well-structured the operation. The lineage of current letterpress
      activity can be traced from these folks, not from the commercial
      sphere. The motive and rationale for what we do is quite different.
      Whether we are hobbyist, private/fine press, boutique card printer...
      I think we all (no matter what our level of expertise and knowledge)
      share a great deal of respect for our heritage, and our attempt to
      keep it alive, no matter how pathetic that might seem to some, has a
      grand nobility to it.

      Regardless of the toys and remnants that we are using, amazingly
      wonderful and beautiful work is being produced today. Some of which I
      suspect might actually have impressed the commercial printer of yore.

      Gerald

      >Proof presses were used for proofing--they would laugh at what is
      > going on today, it's like playing with Tonka Toys instead of real
      machines. But,
      > we work with what's left today--most of the really good equipment
      went overseas
      > or was scrapped. Just keep things in perspective.
      >
      > Fritz

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic