2325Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: New Times for Letterpress

  • E Roustom
    Dec 18, 2003
      Hi Gerald,

      > Though today it is more for affect than technical necessity.
      I do in part agree. The jobs I like doing best are where the impression
      seems necessary, and natural to both the paper and the purpose of the job.
      I've had several clients look for the impression on *both* sides of the
      sheet - drives me nuts, but at least I know how to achieve that, and thank
      goodness for photopolymer.

      Two questions (two topics):
      In what sense are you using "Affect"?
      Could we substitute "Affect" with "Effect"?

      >Sometimes, when you look through the older stuff, you almost wish you
      >had a time machine to take you back.
      Fritz Klinke and I had discussed this once, and his opinion is that the work
      being done then was with new equipment (then), large flat bed cylinders, an
      industry with full support (proper inks, rollers, plate makeready systems,
      well trained professionals). We exist now with the leftovers, in some cases
      the presses that would have been scrapped (should have been scrapped?), and
      training in art, not trade schools. We are the bands of die hard insurgents
      in a war that was clearly lost. However collectively we produce beautiful
      vital work, whether or not we are compelled by tradition.
      I'm not sure I'd want to go back in time except to look and learn.
      Nobody's going to make me wear a vest and tie at work on the floor of a
      printing house! But yes, what a pleasure it would be to see the early
      cylinders at work.

      Elias
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic