2322Re: [PPLetterpress] New Times for Letterpress

  • E Roustom
    Dec 17, 2003
      >>But these are new times for letterpress, and new methods must be explored.
      > I would certainly agree with your statement that these are new times for
      > letterpress, though I am uncertain if you are talking about the current
      > economic situation or the larger phenomenon.

      By saying that new methods must be explored the implication is that these
      are new times technically for letterpress? I can't believe there's too much
      any of us are trying to do now that has not been done. Even if we're only
      talking about the last hundred years - all we're doing is adding impression
      to job work (if more specialized job work). The plates and the type are new
      of course, but putting them to use is not.
      Lately I've been thinking that the old methods are what need exploration.
      I look through old publications and I am amazed at the quality of the work.
      It really makes me wonder why people bothered to switch to offset (of course
      I know the reason...).

      Elias
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic