2320New Times (was magnesium vs. polymer part 2)

  • bieler@worldnet.att.net
    Dec 16, 2003
      Chris

      I don't know that hardness is a real factor in counteracting wear (with photopolymer plates) as much as that metal and plastics are significantly different printing structures. Photopolymer has a resiliance (not a hardness at all) that allows it to retain its surface structure longer than metals like magnesium or lead. It does wear but not in the same manner as metal. You can get a very deep and crisp impression with photopolymer but the increased relief depth provided by thicker plates doesn't guarantee increased fidelity to the printing. There is only a certain latitude of relief that is possible and there is a give and take of quality within that range. There are many different thicknesses and configurations to photopolymer as these are formulated specifically for different printing situations. But photopolymer simply does not have the solid support structure of metals, and I suspect it is a bit less controllable in this regard for sustained deep impression, stamping, debossing, etc.

      I would certainly agree with your statement that these are new times for letterpress, though I am uncertain if you are talking about the current economic situation or the larger phenomenon.

      All best

      Gerald

      > I've been printing for almost 20 years, and know the difference
      between hard
      > and soft packing and the reasons for using one over the other. But
      these are
      > new times for letterpress, and new methods must be explored.
      >
      > Thanks again
      >
      > Chris Stern

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic