2319magnesium vs. polymer part 2

  • sternandfaye
    Dec 16, 2003
      Thanks to all those who replied to my queries about the relative hardness of
      magnesium vs. polymer. I probably should have made it clearer that we are
      printing with 11pt unmounted cuts from Owosso. We do not process our own
      cuts. We've been quite happy with their cuts, but magnesium does seem to
      wear pretty fast with lots of impression. And to answer the question of just
      how hard are we hitting...well, not all that hard. But certain papers...like
      some of the Somerset papers and the heavier Cranes papers, do take their
      toll on magnesium. And if you take a close look at the cuts under a loop,
      you will see wear...guaranteed. The job that prompted this question in the
      first place was printed on Rives BFK. The type was a light Commercial
      Script.

      I've been printing for almost 20 years, and know the difference between hard
      and soft packing and the reasons for using one over the other. But these are
      new times for letterpress, and new methods must be explored.

      Thanks again

      Chris Stern
      Stern & Faye Printers
      37607 Cape Horn Road