2148Re: reporting back: vinegar and water on polymer plates

  • typetom@aol.com
    Nov 1, 2003
      Hello Hiroshi,
      I don't quite follow what you are trying to document or prove. The plates are
      originally washed in water, but once exposed and dried and re-exposed so the
      plate is fully hardened and ready to print, there is little or no effect of
      water (or other common type or press washes) on the plate. (Vinegar is not
      commonly used to wash type in normal operations...) Perhaps if you soak the plate
      for an extended period of time. But in normal use and cleaning the plate will
      not be damaged.

      Contrary to the advice of others on PP list, I normally use kerosene to clean
      type (both metal and photopolymer) and rollers and press. Yes it does leave
      an oily film that can interfere with ink transfer if it is not wiped dry. This
      is true whether you are cleaning metal type, photopolymer, or rollers. But a
      good quality soft paper towel works just fine following washing, as long as it
      doesn't leave lint or paper fibers, and as long as it is not used to rub the
      type heavily. I press the towel onto the type, and use only light surface
      rubbing -- no damage, no problem. If kerosene is a problem, a quick final wash with
      alcohol or faster drying typewash could be used, though I haven't found it
      necessary.

      I have used photopolymer plates for moderately long pressruns (several
      hundred) with dampened handmade paper, both Vandercook and C&P platen -- no
      noticeable deterioration of the plate or the printing quality. Others on PP have
      described brief soaking of old plates in hot water to revive and flatten curled and
      brittle plates. Unless you are attempting something extraordinary, I doubt a
      little water in the wash up should be of any concern.
      Tom

      Tom Parson
      Now It's Up To You Publications
      157 S. Logan, Denver CO 80209