1978Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Dampening paper

    Sep 30, 2003
      jsf73

      Guess I'll have to get myself a freezer unit. Had not heard about this before. Does the impression hold after unthawing?

      My experience tells me differently about waterleafs. I have had very little trouble with waterleafs or internally sized papers. But I have learned to steer away from externally sized papers, such as those formulated for watercolor work. You will have shrinkage and expansion issues due to the dampening process itself. This is more an effect pronounced by grain direction than it is from sizing, or the lack of it, as far as I can tell.

      The project I did with the Arches 88 involved a form that filled the entire bed of my SP-15, ran five colors per sheet, with extraordinarily difficult registration and coverage from top to bottom. And, over a five day period. I did experience initial registration problems, but they were do to a presswork technique I was neglecting rather than any factor of the paper. If the paper is cut so that the grain direction allows the paper to hold to the cylinder rather than flop away from it, you will generally experience far fewer registration problems. I would not hesitate to use this paper, dampened, in future work.

      Gerald

      > A word about Arches 88, it is a screen printing paper with a very
      > smooth surface meant for screen printing. It is also what is called a
      > waterleaf paper, and has no internal sizing. It is not supposed to be
      > dampened. Arches 88 can be ruined by being improperly wetted. If you
      > do wet it and print multiple impressions you can have more
      > registation problems due to shrinkage and expansion issues due to
      > lack of internal sizing. No internal sizing means the paper is free
      > to expand and contract with every little change in dampness level
      > moreso that with sized paper.

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic