1763Re: offset printing a letterpress design

  • carey johnson
    Jul 17, 2003
      Hm. Thanks. All smart things to keep in mind. And yes, I do believe
      that is the position I'm in. Also, I appreciate the tip about the
      gang printing methods for CD's. Hadn't thought about that. This one
      is a digipack thing. Don't know if that'll make a difference, but I
      believe you're right about the budget approach. We shall see...

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, InkPotJim@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 7/17/2003 12:31:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      > careysuejohnson@y... writes:
      > > i'm hired
      > > by a music manager/producer who's shopping a recording to a
      > > and the label, i believe, is going to make that decision. i was
      > > to provide film. but they want letterpress art.
      > Ah, the dreaded music manager and CD packaging job. Get your money
      up front!
      > Just kidding.
      > Most CD packaging is printed in gangs, or groups of more than one
      job at a
      > time, making it a)cheap for the label, but b) impossible to
      control. Don't waste
      > too much time with technical details of the printing process
      they're using
      > then -- just concentrate on getting them the best film you can.
      > I'll assume that since they've hired you to provide film, that it's
      money out
      > of your pocket (which they may or may not have to reimburse you
      > depending on your contract) to have transparencies and scans made,
      etc. If it falls
      > under a reimburseable for you and they approve, go for the "raking
      light" and
      > get a nice shot taken, then send them the bill.
      > CD labels as a whole are printed 4-color en masse, unless you're
      REM or some