1761Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: offset printing a letterpress design

  • InkPotJim@aol.com
    Jul 17, 2003
      In a message dated 7/17/2003 12:31:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      careysuejohnson@... writes:

      > i'm hired
      > by a music manager/producer who's shopping a recording to a label.
      > and the label, i believe, is going to make that decision. i was asked
      > to provide film. but they want letterpress art.

      Ah, the dreaded music manager and CD packaging job. Get your money up front!

      Just kidding.

      Most CD packaging is printed in gangs, or groups of more than one job at a
      time, making it a)cheap for the label, but b) impossible to control. Don't waste
      too much time with technical details of the printing process they're using
      then -- just concentrate on getting them the best film you can.

      I'll assume that since they've hired you to provide film, that it's money out
      of your pocket (which they may or may not have to reimburse you for,
      depending on your contract) to have transparencies and scans made, etc. If it falls
      under a reimburseable for you and they approve, go for the "raking light" and
      get a nice shot taken, then send them the bill.

      CD labels as a whole are printed 4-color en masse, unless you're REM or some
      other multi platinum artist that the record co. can afford to pull out all the
      stops for. So spot colors are the exception rather than the rule. Especially
      for printers that are putting 7 other CD labels on the same press sheet and
      can't afford to accomodate special requests. It's the same principle as the
      cheapo postcard printers. Your situation might be different, but there's a good
      chance what im describing is the situation youre in.

      And then like any good businessperson, you should then immediately remind
      them that you own the reproduction rights to the cover artwork beyond any use on
      CD covers, and "By the way, would the band or the label be interested in
      buying a limited edition of the actual letterpress artwork to give as gifts?".

      If you cant have an actual letterpressed CD cover, at least you can get some
      prints into the hands of someone who might appreciate them.

      Jim Harrison
      DECA Design
      Gainesville, FL