1750Re: offset printing a letterpress design

  • eroustom
    Jul 17, 2003
      I'm curiouse if this had to be done on the cheap, with a straight desktop scan... I've got some art school printmaking ideas (as in no
      budget whatsoever) to lend on this question:
      My first suggestion would be to avoid the dot. Don't produce a half tone, but after you edit your (high res. grayscale) scan,
      produce line art (bitmap) - if you get it right, the only thing missing will be the impression. Second consider overprinting different
      proofs (with different densities of coverage) thereby producing a duotone, and adding some depth and complexity to the
      ink/color that is often missing from offset.

      Or find someone with a cylinder press to run the job for real (if I were to do it, I'd make a plate from a scan anyway - I wouldn't
      want to take a chance with clunky old wood type surviving 1000 impressions without the lock-up exploding).

      Good luck.

      Elias Roustom

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic