1747Re: [PPLetterpress] offset printing a letterpress design

  • InkPotJim@aol.com
    Jul 17, 2003
      In a message dated 7/17/2003 4:04:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      edinman@... writes:

      > I have plans to offset print a letterpress design done with wood
      > type. We'll print it it on a vandercook, then scan the art to create
      > films. Does anyone have any cautionary advice for the process? Just
      > wondering...

      Carey,

      As someone with extensive offset experience and only a letterpress noob, let
      me give you the only advice that matters:

      Don't expect a scan of a letterpress print to live up to your expectations on
      an offset press.

      It's just not going to happen unless you spend a great deal of effort to
      print a very high line screen, and spring for professional photography of the
      print instead of a straight scan. Slapping a letterpress print on a scanner might
      be ok, but youre going to lose alot of the tactile dimensionality of the print
      due to the uniformity of light that scanners use. If the budget affords it,
      get a pro to light the print in a studio environment (thus emphasizing any
      embossment or textures that the letterpress process might have created) and shoot
      transparencies that then get scanned.

      Of course I live in a world of higher budget stuff, corporate budgets, etc.,
      and this advice might be wholly unpractical for you. Certainly direct scanning
      of a print will work, and look good if your scanner is top notch. Some
      digital tweaking might be necessary after the fact. Just don't expect a dead-on
      perfect reproduction and keep your expectations realisitc.

      Good luck!

      Jim Harrison
      DECA Design
      Gainesville. Florida