146Re: Matte vs. smooth plates

    Oct 2, 2001
      Dear Harold

      Though I normally use Toyobo Printight (tip of the hat here to Tom) on
      occasion I will use a BASF (nyloprint) plate at .037" that has a matte
      surface. Prints very well for detail, halftones, etc. (some picking
      with solids). Odd though in processing; stuff stinks, suds up and
      cruds up in the wash, and when you are finished it looks likes its
      not. Weird shininess at the junctures of the shoulders, very sticky
      surface, etc. Colors are Halloweenie and the material seens opaque.
      But, like I said, prints very well, somewhat expensive. Can't remember
      the stock number off hand. A long while back, Pat Reagh and Bradley
      Hutchinson both told me they prefer nyloprint to Printight. Haven't
      had much luck with Jet though I understand (could be wrong) both Jet
      and Printight are made by the Toyobo folks, or at least, the same
      manufacturer makes both brands. Been a bit hard to verify this.

      Ger

      --- In PPLetterpress@y..., Harold Kyle <harold@b...> wrote:
      > I was talking with a rep today about the difference between smooth
      > and matte polymer plates. He said that the matte plates don't need as
      > much ink to transfer their image. Printers who used fine halftone
      > screens, especially with vignettes or other light tones, preferred to
      > use matte plates because they experience less ink gain. He also
      > mentioned that if your negative doesn't have a matte surface that the
      > matte plate helps the contact in the vacuum.
      >
      > Thought I would share this information. I've gotten good results on
      > both types of plates, and will try some tests when I make plates
      > later this week. Have people experienced differences between the
      > plates when printing text or line art? Specifically, have people
      > noticed less ink squeeze on matte plates, or is the difference
      > minimal?
      >
      > Harold Kyle
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic