1440Re: [PPLetterpress] Real Printing

  • Fritz Klinke
    May 1, 2003
      My first hand setting of type dates back to the mid-50s on the Canyon
      Courier in Evergreen, Colo., but I recently achieved my goal of having some
      of all of the hot metal machines--Ludow, Linotype, Monotype--and yet we make
      photopolymer plates almost every day. This morning's work includes a set of
      plates for a fellow who prints decals for model railroaders which are done
      on a Vandercook Universal I that was made to his specifications in the 60s.
      His railroad type is all custom created on a computer and cannot be
      duplicated in metal type.

      I have also worked in a "real" letterpress production shop where massive
      amounts of letterpress work was done on a regular basis to very tight
      schedules. What ever produced the end result desired by the customer was
      fair game. It ran from hand set type to the earliest photopolymer plates
      (Dycril) to chrome plated electros, and often combined offset. An example
      would have been the catalog for a junior college we did in 3 weeks--4-color
      offset cover, about 430 pages of 8 pt Linotype, about 15 halftones, 20,000
      copies, all chapter heads hand set, and perfect bound. This was done on
      several presses including Miehle flatbeds and Heidelberg cylinders. And not
      too many blocks away was where the Grabhorns once produced their exquisite
      letterpress books and commercial printing. Thus a discussion or debate of
      what is "real" in terms of letterpress has to cover all the aspects of the
      trade--no one part is any more real than another in my opinion and
      experience.

      Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
      1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
      Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA