1437Re: [PPLetterpress] Real Printing

    May 1, 2003
      The proof's in the pudding ;-)

      I've yet to prefer hot metal badly arranged to cold well designed.

      However, particularly for display, there's no substitution for the instant feedback that metal foundry type allows. To pull a proof, switch a copper hair-space from one side of a letter to the other, pull the proof again...

      The computer, with the no-rules philosophy, allows the creation of work which has no guts, no bones, no spirit. Even badly set linotype and foundry has some honesty about it.

      (For the record, I designed my first digital typeface in 1985 and was working in letterpress a few years before that.)

      Gutenberg's critics didn't really care about the 'beauty' of 'calligraphy'. They were more concerned about their own jobs, and that his press could put 1000 of them out of work with a single book!

      Ciao
      Peter

      Peter Fraterdeus http://www.midsummernightstamps.com
      http://www.fraterdeus.com |* + * + * + Rubber Stamp Fine Art!