13816Re: [PPLetterpress] Film adhesive problem

  • Harold Kyle
    May 29 8:40 PM
      We sell green die sealer for the platemaking machines, as you describe, to keep the water out of the panel holding the plate during washout. It is methyl ethyl ketone (butanone) based and I personally find it unpleasant to breathe. I have never heard of anyone using this to seal a plate on the press. A simpler, less fume-y solution would be to use less solvent when cleaning a plate.

      Harold

      On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Bieler@... [PPLetterpress] <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Much of the film adhesive used to secure plastic-backed photopolymer plates on a flatbase is sold by Biesse (Italy). Most contemporary plate makers such as Boxcar, Elum, even Bieler :—) use it.

      Note however, that solvents can disturb the film adhesive. One of my clients recently complained that her adhesive had discolored and swollen in areas. What she did not mention is that she had allowed spilled solvent to attack the film adhesive. Well, why would she?

      There is a product that will help prevent this, Green Die Sealer. I've used it quite a bit and do carry it in stock. I consider it an essential. Besides sealing the edging of a plate, it is a common water seal for platens of photopolymer platemaking machines.

      http://bielerpressxi.blogspot.com/2006/03/new-roll-of-kreen-33-by-75.html

      Green Die Sealer has been around longer than most folks printing with photopolymer! and actually seems to last much longer!!!!

      --
      Boxcar Press
      509 W. Fayette St. #135