      If you have a 10 x 15 coming, I wouldn't invest in a tabletop press. You'll not make use of it much after you get used to your larger press. I have a Craftsmen Superior (Pilot copy) that was great till I got my 10x15. It works great for demonstration, but the big press is much better at almost everything.

      Justin Miller

      Sent from my iPod

      On Mar 20, 2014, at 9:06 AM, Julie Larson <entdesign@...> wrote:

      I like the pilot, but it gets to be a chore to do large runs as each impression is a lever pull and my shoulder gets to complaining after a while. I once numbered 6000 raffle tickets one up and it took me 2 days to print and probably a week to recover :-).
      The pilot will put a bite into paper, but it is dependent on the type or art area as well as the paper. The larger the print area, the more the impression force is spread out and the less bite. Large print forms do not bite into the paper. I did a recipe card for a letterpress cookbook a few years ago, and it was all I could do to get mediocre ink transfer from the print form, a 6" x 4" block full of text and border.
      Small print areas, such as text return addresses become a challenge to not over pull and punch through the stock.
      The warnings about attempting heavy impression as a regular technique are valid. The impression is supplied though a linkage system, and there is a back stop that can put the load from the yoke against the back frame. I do know of someone who broke the frame trying to apply too much pressure.
      It is a nice small press. Easy to clean up, can be moved by 2 strong people, doesn't need a lot of room.
      Hope this helped,

      From: "powster@..." <powster@...>
      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 1:19 PM
      Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Anyone here own a C&P Pilot 6x10 / Sigwalt 6x9?
      Thanks for the replies everyone.

      Here's my situation:

      Currently, I am using a custom cylinder press to do most of my work short runs of namecards + invites. It doesn't require too much space, and I'm able to get good impression out of it. The only challenge is it requires hand inking with every print, hence am looking to get a platen press.

      I will be moving out of my small work area to a larger space in November. I have a C&P 10x15 on order, which arrive in November as well.

      In the mean time, I am contemplating getting a C&P Pilot/ Sigwalt (or equivalent) to tide me over until I move. I have researched as much as I can, and I already know:
      -Tabletop presses aren't as strong as floor standing ones
      -They were meant for "kiss" impression
      -You will not get deep impression with table top presses, and trying to do so is either a) impossible, or b) will break the press

      However, what I still don't understand is how "deep" is "deep impression"? This is quite an arbitrary term, because there are other factors such as paper type / thickness, how much area is being printed etc.

      For example, if print area is small enough, not much pressure is required to get a good texture when printing on 110lb crane lettra. And possibly even less pressure if I use a thicker stock like 220lb crane lettra.

      Would something like this be doable on a Pilot:
      (The last picture might be a bit tough, given the large flat colored areas).

      I've tried googling + searching for videos, but no definitive answer. Unfortunately, I also don't know anyone nearby who has a tabletop letterpress.

      Appreciate any help :)

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic