13727Re: [PPLetterpress] polymer versus lead type

  • Kathleen Whalen
    Feb 3, 2014
      Quarter inch bar is not likely to be flexing over 27 or so, inches, unless
      under pressure - I'd first look to the problem as more likely to be in the
      pressure of the ink distribution system being mal-adjusted. But as I
      remember it, the ink distribution mechanism just works by friction on the
      inking roller - it would be odd indeed in Vandercook didn't get that right
      and no-one noticed it before. Which, on Holmesian principles, takes you to a
      rubber roller that's too soft, eh? Is there a visible flat spot between the
      steel drum and the inking roller? Can the inking roller be raised to suit
      the surface being printed from? Is the diameter of the new roller correct?

      I suppose it could be different in different parts of the world, but here
      the cores are not damaged by rubber removal (old rubber is cut off with a
      knife), and the fix on the core is made by adding a wide and tight spiral of
      string to the core before the rubber goes on and they are vulcanised to
      acquire the Shore number required and then turned in a lathe to the exact
      dimension required.

      It shouldn't be difficult to use the Yellow Pages to arrange a visit to a
      roller manufacturer, and one as close to home as possible is always a good
      idea for any supplier. Rollers are widely used in any number of industrial
      processes, not just for printing machines - those manufacturers I've been to
      have all been happy to show the process, and like the rest of us somewhat
      flattered that someone shows an interest, and it goes a long way in avoiding
      pointless discussion. Another series of fault-lines in the digital world.

      Graham Moss
      Incline Press
      36 Bow Street
      Oldham OL1 1SJ England

      http://www.inclinepress.com
      news blog: http://www.inclinepress.wordpress.com

      On 2/2/14 21:11, "Kevin Martin" <kpmartin@...> wrote:

      > As I understand it, then, the issue is that in stripping the old covering and
      > prepping for the new, some metal is removed from the core each time. One would
      > hope that a person recovering a roller would notice that the core is already
      > roughened and not do it again, but then if the old covering is well adhered to
      > the metal, cleaning it all off without removing metal could be a problem.
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic