Re: [PPLetterpress] Typesetting Software Question

(13674)
  • Michael Hurley
    Jan 17 Expand Messages
      On Jan 17, 2014, at 1:20 PM, Silber MaiKätzchen <maykitten1@...> wrote:

      > Quark Xpress is for typesetting professionals with greater flex ability and more
      > formatting options.
      >
      > In Design comes close Quark Xpress but not quite, I am disappointed in it for
      > value to cost.

      Really? Even when InDesign first came out, I found it far more useable than the Quark 4 we had been using. I started using InDesign full-time with version 2 and never looked back. The quality of the typesetting tools and the underlying paragraph composition engine in the last several versions of InDesign have been absolutely top-knotch and easily equalled Quark from the beginning. You have to know how to use them (like any good tool), but with well-designed modern fonts and the right knowledge, you can get anything really beautiful output. I think the main reason you see so little of it has more to do with the state of graphic design “education” most schools provide than the quality of the tools.

      > Plus the cloud problem.

      On that, we are agreed. We won’t be going past CS 5.5 at my office unless forced. Monthly subscription!? Pathetic, money-grubbing BS by pointy-headed, greedy empty-suit twits.

      > I have all three, but only because my customers insist on being able to submit files
      > from all three on their whim. I do require that ALL customers to test their files using
      > Markzware Flight Check. I have a copy of the Linotype Platinum library and the
      > Letraset Fontek Library CDROM along with a few other popular families, and as
      > long as the file names are the same I will allow those fonts in my jobs -- otherwise
      > all fonts must be imbedded.

      I don’t think we’ve gotten a Quark file from a customer in 2 or 3 years. We still keep a copy (version 8) to open older files from our archives, but new files? Not in a long time. And CorelDraw? I’m sorry you have to deal with that foolishness. I can’t remember the last time someone tossed one of those across my desk and I’m rather glad of it.
      --
      Michael Hurley Titivilus Press
      123 North Holmes St. titiviluspress@...