13625AW: Re: [PPLetterpress] I am writing a new syllabus, help please

  • Silber MaiKätzchen
    Nov 17, 2013
      Well my computer goofed and used an older version of my file. The table remains
      pretty much as it was except the committee met Friday night and the faces without
      mark-ups were formally entered into the standard. Also the name of the standard
      was changed from FMU to CMU. It was FMU from 1953.  The F stood for Formalized.)

      The text before the table reads:

                       THE ART OF MARK-UP

      The earliest part of a layout is the thumbnails, followed by the mark-up. Anyone that goes near a page make-up program without
      thumbnails and a detailed layout should have their little fingers crushed off, one knuckle at a time, with vice grips, without any
      anesthetic.

      Thumbnails are nothing more than small, rough pictures of what you want to do. Make at least six, if possible 10 to 14, but if you
      get to thirty, you need to get a better feeling about your product. Layouts come next. You look at your thumbnails and pick the two
      or three best for you to make layouts.

      In layouts you try to get a good idea of what your product will look like, where pictures and text boxes will be and what sizes each
      will be. This will allow you to plan typefaces, weights and sizes so that you can easily create the appearance you want.

      This listing just covers the essential abbreviations, most commonly seen in printing offices.  Additional suffixes may be used within a
      specific shop to cover other fonts in their collection. For convenience, an alphabetical listing of font codes by font family name is
      given next in this section.

      Two different mark-up systems are show in the table below; PTT is from the Periodic Table of Typefaces from Just My Type by
      Simon Garfield, which is the text for this course. CMU, the second list is a set of mark-up codes  that has been put together as a joint
      effort by a loosely knit group of printers throughout the area , so that mark-ups would be standardized; and we could all share our
      typographic  assets.  Listed families without mark-up codes are families ordered by us for customers’ use that have  not yet  been
      submitted to the mark-up committee; which meets twice a year. CMU means “Coordinated Mark-Up.”

      The choice of which mark-up system to use depends on your shop. PTT lists many of the newer fonts, but CMU contains most of the
      traditional fonts.Nearly forty shops in a five county area use CMU, which is just over half the shops in the area;  but a few independent
      designers and ad agencies use PTT.

      The text after the table reads:
                                              Suffixes
      The following suffixes indicate a further description of the weight and style of the type:

      B or BD – Boldface
      BK – Book
      C or CN – Condensed
      D – Diagonal or Oblique
      DB – Demi-Bold
      E – Engraved
      EC – Extra Condensed
      I – Italic
      K or BK – Black
      L – Light
      M – Medium
      OL – Outline
      R – Roman or Regular
      S – Shaded
      SW – Swash
      X or XB – Extra Bold
      XL or EL – Extra Light

      Suffixes are intended to further identify the font desired by the typographer, or the style of laying out the type.
      Some of the standard  style suffixes are:

      C&SC – Caps and Small Caps
      CAPS – All upper case letters
      CTR – Center
      FL – Flush Left
      FR – Flush Right
      JU – Justify
      LF – Lining figures
      OSF – Old Style Figures
      U&lc – Upper and lower case

      The size and length of a line of type is indicated like this 8.5/10-22 or  8½ point on a ten point body (1½ point leading) on a 22 pica line.

      Or: “TR 12/14-21 C&SC CTR” would mean Times Roman 12 point on a fourteen point body (2 point leading) on a 21 pica line in
      Caps and Small Caps, centered. This would most likely be a running head in a narrow book, like a paperback novel in the pocketbook
      format.  (67/8”X43/16”)

      “x30” at the end of a mark-up would mean that each type block is 30 picas long. For example “CO 8½/10-15 U&lc  JU x22½
      would be a minibook with a type block 2½”x3¾ printed on 5”x4” trim size.

      MaiKätzchen

      Dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas:
      Carpe diem!
      quam minimum credula postero!