13614Re: [PPLetterpress] Need press mover recommendation for Los Angeles area

  • Scott Rubel
    Nov 11, 2013
      Salazar is probably more expensive than any of the others. Maybe not. I will say I've never seen anyone more careful and he has a great team. The way he operates I can't imagine he's ever had an accident. He carts equipment to Mexico and South america on a weekly basis.

      I hired him numerous times over fifteen years. Last time I had him estimate a move, however, his process had changed.

      In the past he would come visit, look at the situation, and give you a total price on the spot.

      His last estimate process, however, was annoying. He wanted exact descriptions of every piece of equipment and he returned with an exact price itemized by every piece. It made me angry. I know what size truck he has, and I know that all my crap would fit on the truck in a single trip.

      That being the case, why would my 12X18 presses cost more than my 8X10s? They are no more strain on his forklift. They are not being taken on separate trips. One is not worth more than another by much, really. This pricing structure was obnoxious, partly because it required me to do some of the legwork and partly because it made the whole proposition more expensive than in the past.

      On the other hand, if you shop around, there are a lot of shifty movers out there who give you the impression they will drop a press and won't be able to compensate for it.

      I also recommend Dunkel Brothers, especially if you need special equipment. I had to use them once because they have a crane, which was a situation I found myself in when the Gold Line dug under our place in Pasadena, cutting off simple forklift access we once had. Dunkel did the move beautifully in extremely tight and awkward quarters.

      --Scott

      On Nov 9, 2013, at 6:14 PM, Gerald Lange wrote:

      From the PPL Database:

      Jim Salazar Company
      Jim Salazar
      1467 Lincoln Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91103
      800-675-1548, 714-740-1520, 213-388-9899, 626-797-3687
      Press mover (LA). Highly recommended.

      Gerald

      On 11/9/13 3:24 PM, heidrun mumper-drumm wrote:

      Hello all:

      I would like to have your recommendation and contact information for a press mover capable of transporting a Vandercook, C&P, and several type cabinets.
      Location in Pasadena to another location in Pasadena.

      Please let me know if you have a reference.

      Thanks, Heidrun
                                          ((o))
      heidrun mumper-drumm

                  director | sustainability initiatives
                  professor | graphics, product, humanities  sciences
                  art center college of design

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic