13556Re: [PPLetterpress] The Titans of Letterpress

  • Charles Jones
    Sep 5, 2013
      Re: Testing for air quality

      I recently returned to my press studio after being gone for 6 weeks or so. I have photopolymer plates and various solvents, California wash and kerosene, along with a variety of inks. I have processing eq. platemaker, laser printer, the usual.
      Last spring I had a project that called for silkscreen printing and I had stored the materials, inks, screen emulsion, cleaner, all in a glass front cabinet that had  the particle board shelving clad with enamel that is so common today. The shelve the screen cleaner was on had turned yellow and melted and there was damage to the other shelves in the unit.

      My point is every town, large or small has silk screen printing shops turning out tons of tee shirts and other stuff. There is the real danger; why pick on letterpress shops and photography studios?

      C harles Jones
      LaNana Creek Press

      On Sep 5, 2013, at 9:46 AM, Bill <nohogallery@...> wrote:

      Gerald and Peter

      What have the Titans of Letterpress done to anger the Gods?

      Years ago I had OSHA show up at the studio causing extreme pain.  I survived.  They were cranky about wiring.

      Peter, my studio is moving this month.  I have plenty of room if you want to move to western Massachusetts.   I am moving from a 500 sq. ft. studio in a basement to 2200 sq. ft fifth floor space with windows and amazing freight elevators.

      Hopefully by October I will have the Intertype up and running and casting Hebrew type.

      So the big question is why did the EPA show up?

      Thanks

      Bill
      Big Wheel Press
      The Hebrew Press

      Sent from my iPad

      On Sep 5, 2013, at 10:09 AM, Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> wrote:

      There's certainly a rather strong stink to the stuff.
      I don't notice it much any more, but visitors will commonly wrinkle the nose.

      Sorry for the headaches, Gerald.
      Got a few of my own here, looking for new digs for the studio.
      Had a line on a nice ground level former plumber's garage (three bay), but the remodeling costs look prohibitive.

      Facing an Oct 1 deadline. May have to farm out some job work just to keep our brand going, since it's looking unlikely that we will not be facing a pretty substantial delay of business. Arrgh.

      Thanks all

      PF