13544Re: Does the emulsion side of film matter?

  • Eric
    Aug 25, 2013
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Ian" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

      If I expose plates with the non emulsion side will this affect the quality of the plate. My main concern is reverse images.

      The plates will be unprintable, especially reverses, but really any type of image except the most coarse, as in linoleum cut resolution.
      Any gap between emulsion of film and emulsion of plate will create a spread. With relief photopolymer, having a thicker emulsion, the spread will create softer edge to the image and a filling in of lower body. Positive images thicken, reverse images fill.
      ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS specify right-reading emulsion-up (RR/E-up), no matter how may times you've used a provider before. If the film received is not to what you specified, they must redo the film. If they don't follow clear specs, don't pay for their error, and don't go back.
      --Eric Holub, SF
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic