13470Re: [PPLetterpress] Thurs May 2nd -6:30pm-8:30pm REMINDER - COMMUNITY PRINT CENTER - OPEN GROUP
- Apr 29, 2013Steve,
We are flying into SFO (noon arrival) for our two night layover on the way to Hawaii on Sunday, May 5th. We are planning on visiting History Park for a couple hours then heading back up to our hotel (Hampton Inn South San Francisco). We will certainly plan a stop along the way back to check out the Community Print Center, if we can fit it into our already busy schedule :-)
- Lance Williams
Williams Stationery Company
Camden, New York
On 4/29/2013 12:00 AM, Steve Robison wrote:(Cross posted, so there may be duplication. Apologies in advance if you receive this more than once)
From: Steve Robison at THE COMMUNITY PRINT CENTER -
1777 California Drive, Studio #10, Burlingame, CA 94010 <communityprint1777@...> or leave messages at 650-591-6190
YOU ARE CORDIALLY INVITED TO THE FOLLOWING FREE GET-TOGETHERS AT "THE COMMUNITY PRINT CENTER" in Burlingame, CA...
- SATURDAY MAY 4 from 11am to 5pm - Open Studio
- SUNDAY MAY 5 from 11am to 5pm - Open Studio
Location: The Community Print Center is located at the Peninsula Museum of Art, Studio #10, 1777 California Drive, Burlingame, CA 94010, ...about 15 miles south of San Francisco and about 10 miles north of San Mateo.
Directions... from Hwy 101, take the Millbrae Ave. exit and head west on Millbrae Ave. toward the Millbrae BART/CalTrain Station. Go a couple of blocks past the Millbrae BART Station and turn left on to El Camino Real.
Go to the second signal light intersection which will be at Trousdale. Turn left on Trousdale. Go 1/2 block and turn right into the Peninsula Museum of Art parking lot. Park and walk to the building entrance which is on the back "south" side of the building. Go into the Peninsula Art Institute studios entrance doors and walk around the 1st floor hallway until you get to Studio # 10. You have arrived!!!
Other landmarks nearby: You will be right next door to the Burlingame Police Department, and also about a block away from Mills-Peninsula Hospital.___________________________________________
Thanks again for your interest in the new "Community Print Center" at the Peninsula Artists Institute studios at the new Peninsula Museum of Art in Burlingame CA !!!
You are receiving this email as an invitation, either because you left your name with me at the Grand Opening several weeks ago, have signed up on our mailing list, or were referred by a friend as someone who might be interested, or you are on a printing and book arts related list and might be interested or might know someone who is...On Thursday May 2, we will be holding another weekly open-house get-together from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm at the Community Print Center.During this time we will be discussing how the collaborative center will work, and sharing our goals and visions of what we want to see happen.Then on Saturday May 4 and Sunday May 5 from 11am-5pm each day there will also be the Peninsula Art Institute "Open Studio Days." The"Community Print Center" studio will also be open to the general public during the weekend, along with more than 20 other other studios in the Art Institute featuring Painting, Collage, Furniture Design, Sculpture, Watercolor, Photography, Wearable Art, and more
So let me tell you a little more about what's going on with the Community Print Center ......The Community Print Center is a space to be filled with antique presses and printing equipment and a of those interested in printing the old fashioned way in a modern setting. We'll grow as a group and make decisions about how we want to develop, what classes will be offered, and what the benefits and responsibilities of membership will be.By May 5th, if there is enough commitment by a large enough group, we'll move to fully outfit the shop with all the necessary equipment and supplies that are needed to start printing and instruction.The concepts so far are:- Our goal will be to provide a clean well lighted and fully equipped place to learn and do letterpress printing and related book arts in a supportive learning community.
- The Print Center will have a complete letterpress shop with a broad selection of type, several platen and cylinder presses, a large paper cutter, and all the related tools and supplies necessary for printing. I personally will be able to supply all the equipment and start-up supplies needed to get things up and running, and we can add or replace equipment as we go along as our budget allows.
- The Print Center will be educationally centered, with beginning and advanced classes offered in printing related arts.
- The Print Center will operate around the clock....sort of like a "TechShop for the printing arts" or a "24 hour Fitness Center for printing" and printing related education." In other words, members will be able to access the center at any time 24hours /7days a week via a keypad code entry system whenever they want to work on their individual projects, and they will have access to all the equipment they will need to complete their projects.
- We will have a free introductory class for all new members covering the basics of letterpress printing and the use and safety requirements of all of the print center equipment.- The Print Center will be membership based, with members having input into how things will run.- The annual membership will be $50 per year per person to help cover our basic operating costs as an organization.- Members will then be eligible to have studio time in the community print center at very low rates based on various intervals of usage, such as weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually.- Our goal is to keep rates low, while being able to cover our basic expenses such as rent, insurance, equipment, equipment maintenance, supplies, and other operating costs.- Rates are still to be determined depending on how many members we have and how each member utilizes the space... But the schedule below illustrates an example of what the rates might look like, offering deep discounts for longer term commitments, but also offering shorter time commitments for those who just want to get their feet wet first.:
EXAMPLE:$ 25 for 1 week$ 50 for 1 month$ 100 for 3 months$ 150 for 6 months$ 200 for 1 year
- Payment plans for 3month to 12 month commitments are also being considered to make it easier for people to work things into their personal budgets.- Members will then be able to use the center at any time day or night during their interval of usage, with access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via a keypad code entry system, except for times reserved for classes and for reservations for high demand presses and equipment. However, the goal is to have most of the space available at any time of the day or night for all design and composition work.- Paid members who use the print center will then form a governing group to monitor operating guidelines and decide as a group how the collaborative will continue to operate.
Of course, anyone in the larger community will also be able to make donations to our efforts as well. The Peninsula Museum of Art is a 501(c)3 organization. Donation checks can be made payable to "Peninsula Museum of Art" and in the subject line note "Donation to the Community Print Center. Donations in any amount are welcome. Donations are tax deductible as allowed by law. Check with your tax adviser for details.Hope this helps explain the concept, and I hope to see you at one of our get togethers....In the meantime, if you have any questions, feel free to email me at<CommunityPrint1777@...> or leave me a message at 650-591-6190.Best wishes,--Steve Robison
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>